Saturday 11 April 2015

Peanut Butter & Banana Porridge

One of my favourite porridge (or oatmeal) flavour combos~ Banana, Peanut Butter and cinnamon with a dash of almond milk for good measure. Healthy and quick breakfast that is Vegan and can be gluten free!


Hiya peeps, how ya doing? 

I just got back from a birthday meal to celebrate one of my bestest friends 16th (or super sweet 16 if we're going to be American about this), speaking of which I have been watching 'My Super Sweet 16' religiously on amazon prime. If you are not already familiar with the teen reality show it's basically just about filthy rich teens getting their dream sweet 16th birthday party, and we are talking RICH as in spending £90,000 on a party...It's crazy. I have been watching the UK version although it originally was an American show which makes it even more hilarious for me since some of them come from areas not so far away from me and I think how crazy different people's lifestyles are. Bascially I have watched all of the series available online and am watching them now on repeat, I just need a bit of crap TV most of the time sometimes.

So yeah moving on.... I had a lovely meal,  'Pizza Marco Pollo' which was shredded duck, spring onions and mozzarella on a plum sauce base and yes it was as good as it sounds (basically tasted like two meals in one- chinese takeout on a pizza but more delicious) and then of course a pud 'Cioccolato Diavola'~ sticky chocolate fudge brownie with praline pieces, melting chocolate and vanilla ice cream...To be honest I'm kind of glad I haven't quite yet mastered a super fudgy gooey brownie recipe yet because I would make it way too often, that dessert was heavenly. Aside from the food, it was great to get the gang together, I swear whenever we're out we are the loudest table. We are the loud ones snorting and giggling at each others jokes and stupidity in the corner... but it's great and I love them and it wouldn't be a fantastic evening without them. Wow I got really emotional just then

Let's lighten the mood with Porridge! or it's american counterpart Oatmeal which I have to admit I am starting to use more often. This is nothing technical at all, just simple honest food which I really need right now. and always. This is especially a handy recipe for when you want a quick and healthy filling breakfast so you can crack on with your revision or work~ thumbs up for porridge all around. 
This is also Vegan and can be gluten free if you use gluten free porridge oats, I usually chop up my banana to serve as a topping but when I like sweetness actually in the porridge I like to use an overripe banana and mash it up in with the cooked porridge. It makes it naturally sweetened without the need of adding any other sugars. Add in some almond milk, top with a swirl of peanut butter and several dashes of cinnamon and you have a breakfast of champions. 

What are your favourite porridge or oatmeal combos?




PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA PORRIDGE

Serves:1 

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup porridge oats
  • 1 cup water, or any milk you prefer
  • 1 banana (preferably ripe), mashed
  • Big teaspoon (or more) smooth peanut butter, I use this
  • Almond milk
  • Cinnamon 
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Mash the banana and set aside. Put the oats in a saucepan with the water ( I sometimes let it sit for about 10 minutes but you don't have to). Bring to the boil, stirring often, and when it begins to thicken and bubble turn down to a low heat and stir occasionally.
2. After it has cooked thoroughly and is thick, add the almond milk. I like my porridge thick so I don't add much, just enough to make it creamy but if you like to more runny, add some more.
3. Add the mashed banana to the oats and turn of the heat. Give it a stir until the banana is combined. 
4. Pour into a bowl and top with peanut butter and a good sprinkling of cinnamon, you can add more almond milk now if you like. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment