Saturday 6 December 2014

Healthy Porridge Oat Mug Cake



A quick and easy porridge oat mug cake made in the microwave! Healthy, filling, delicious and a great alternative to regular porridge; it's also Vegan and can be Gluten Free too


Well hi my lovelies! 

I have a super duper yummy healthy breakfast for ya'll today. It begins with OATS, PORRIDGE OATS. Breakfast is literally my favourite meal of the day since I am now totally a morning person (believe me though I never used to be!). No joke, I am always thinking about what I am having for breakfast the evening before and I look forward to eating it as soon as I get up. 
Let's face the facts. I'm all about the oats, I would substitute every lunch and dinner for a nice warm bowl of porridgy oaty goodness. 

It's hard to believe that I was never a morning or breakfast person and although I did eat and love porridge back then, I wouldn't have it very often (but when I did have porridge I would dump a shed load of sugar on it). Ever since I have gotten into healthy eating, porridge every morning has become the norm and I love getting creative with the toppings! Porridge is so versatile and easily adapted to tastes and preferences. There is savoury porridge too but I am 100% sweet over savoury girl in the morning. Aka if I had a choice I would choose a big stack of pancakes over an english fry up...unless of course porridge was available.

AAAAnyway, back to this mug cake. HEALTHY mug cake may I add. Sometimes after having porridge everyday during the week, at the weekends I like to get a bit creative. These microwave baked oats are perfect!
No fuss and easy with only oats, applesauce (I used my Grandma's own cooked and chunky apple sauce- to DIE FOR btw, no sugar needed), blackberries (picked of my Gran and Grandad's garden- I need to do a post on just my Granparents- they produce so much fresh fruit and veg its amazing!), cashew butter which acts as a binder along with the agave (for a bit of sweetness) and some seeds and goji berries (my fave). Finally topped with some greek yoghurt and cinnamon (because cinnamon is the best spice ever). 

What is great about this though is that you can totally customise it. Want more nut butter? go for it! want more oats? go for it! Just make sure it all fits in your mug :)
This mug cake was quite small so you could get away with adding more but It is quite filling, maybe  you can put it in two mugs and save one for a snack. Oooo now that's an idea...









Healthy Porridge Oat Mug Cake


A quick mug cake using healthy and wholesome ingredients. Perfect if you want something different to porridge, it’s Vegan and can be made gluten free


Serves: 1


INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp porridge oats (can sub for gluten free oats)
3 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce (I used a chunky apple puree)
2 tbsp blackberries
1 tsp cashew butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp of nuts or seeds (I used a seed and goji berry mix)
Yoghurt for topping, optional (I had greek yoghurt but you can sub for any dairy free yoghurt for a vegan option)
Sprinkle of Cinnamon, optional


DIRECTIONS
1. Measure and put all of the ingredients in a microwave safe mug (apart from the yoghurt and cinnamon) and give it a good mix.
2. Gently press down with a spoon and spread the mixture flat and evenly in your mug.
3. Microwave for 4 minutes and 30 seconds*. Keep a close eye on the mug cake stopping at 1 minute intervals so that the oats dont puff up too much when cooking.
4. After 4 minutes the mug cake should slightly be coming away from the sides and should be developing a hard-ish top. It will be slightly hard on top and dense and cakey in the center.
5. Let the cake cool a little and  top with whatever you want! Yoghurt, milk, agave, cinnamon, whatever you like and enjoy! If you want a denser cake, let the cake sit longer.


*Microwaves have temperatures so times may differ, just be sure to keep an eye on it  ( ^_^)
Also feel free to adjust the amounts to your tastes, add more fruit, nut butter...as long as it fits in your mug!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment