Monday 30 March 2015

Mixed Nut and Seed Energy Balls

Healthy bite- sized energy balls made mostly from dates and nuts! A super quick recipe for when you need a good snackette during the busy weekdays



Oh Hai there friends, how is your Easter holidays treating y'all so far? (random texas accent thrown in there). 
Are you tucking into those chocolate easter eggs and hot cross buns yet? or maybe even making them yourself, as I have seen many other pinteresters out there doing? I'm ashamed to say I haven't had either of those things yet, my aim was to make my own hot cross buns instead of buying the store bought but now I'm kinda thinking meh, effort... and oh yeah I have revision and exams soon after easter~ ahh the joys of year 11. Sorry, I'll stop complaining now, I'm sure people out there with A-levels and jobs have a lot tougher time than I do right now but still, studying is BORING when you realise that you could actually be in the kitchen right now making your own hot cross buns and chocolate easter eggs and maybe cadbury creme egg brownies AND a surprise cake with millions of mini chocolate eggs in the centre. Okaay maybe I have been pinning Easter recipes like crazy.

Due to the work load I'm not able to bring any new recipes to the table, so I thought I would share my super simple recipe (if you can call it that) on some yummy energy balls. All around healthy snacks are always a winner no? rather than reaching for that box of Ferrero Rocher and saying just one and then eating like half the box. 
And no that so hasn't happened...

I have seen a lot of these energy ball recipes on the web and most of which are quite similar, the base ingredients is always dates with either nuts, seeds or some other superfood. Bloggers get really creative with their flavours and coatings so it is pretty much limitless what you add to yours- it's all about your preference really!

My coating choice was cocoa because I get the chocolate fix way too regularly lately (I blame it on the stress), coconut flakes because coconut is just everything right with this world and matcha because It's amazing, super good for you and prettyyyy

Oh yeah do you like the napkins? Mum saw them in Tesco in a  Chinese New Year section, they had cats and were cool so we had to get them. Purely for photographic purposes of course.  



MIXED NUT AND SEED ENERGY BALLS


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1/2 cup natural mixed nuts (mixture of brazil, almond, cashew)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup seeds and goji berry mix
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
FOR COATING:
  • cocoa, matcha (the good quality stuff) and coconut flakes
INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Put the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water, let sit for about 5- 10 minutes. 
2. Drain the dates and add them to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until it is a  formed sticky mixture.
3. Put your coating ingredients into separate bowls. Roll the mixture into bite sized balls and then cover with your desired coating~ EAT






No comments:

Post a Comment