Friday 20 March 2015

Banana and smashed Raspberry Pancakes

Healthy and filling pancakes made with oats and whole-wheat flour- they are a delicious combination of banana and smashed raspberries with a sprinkling of flaked almonds and drowned in maple syrup


The pancake love is still strong guys, pancake day may be over but being a rebel and all I have still been making pancakes. I know it's actually totally the norm for the weekend to make pancakes but seriously though, I am addicted to those Chocolate Oat Pancakes... AND I still have another CHOCOLATE pancake recipe lined up for the blog which I am still determined to label as a recipe for Pancake Day and everyday of the week. These are healthy pancakes that you could have regularly for breakfast and do not have to feel guilty about since they contain no unhealthy ingredients to send you spirally downhill during the rest of the day- because if your like me and have an unhealthy breakfast, you get hungry quicker and you crave all the norty foods which you then end up binging on before evening even rolls around (and you are literally rolling around because you are succumbed to food coma state). Please tell me I am not the only one...

I love bananas in breakfast goods, well actually I love bananas in everything. In fact I have bananas nearly every morning in porridge or smoothie. I have been on a serious smoothie binge as of late, my favourite and go to smoothie that never fails me is my peanut butter and banana smoothie. I'm going to have to share that recipe with you- it's pretty darn good, so good that I could have it for every three meals. I was conjuring healthy pancake ideas and combos in my head and thought obviously bananas because they are good for you and make everything breakfasty taste good (actually I take that back, I doubt a mashed banana on a fry up would be very appetising). But oh wait, brain wave, bananas and raspberries is a killer combo plus the colours look great together (food photo bonus) and sprinkled with almonds with a dredging of maple syrup? BINGO. I called it banana and smashed raspberry pancakes because it sounded chefy and its actually what I did... but I aborted it from the title because read back it did sounded a bit too pretentious (although I still quite like it). I would have liked to add almond extract to the pancakes because I think it would have enhanced the almond flavour but I didn't have any... sad face, maybe add ground almonds to the mix? hmm that could be something awesome. Speaking of which I just made a mug brownie with ground almonds and it was pretty darn delicious, sorry just trying to make you jealous ;) #notsorry

These are whipped up in a blender which makes it oh so easy to do, you could use a food processor too but I just used my smoothie blender and it worked a treat. Put ingredients in, blend, pour, fry and voila~ pancakes with smashed raspberries (that felt good), but actually don't blend the raspberries because then they will be more like raspberry smoosh than smash...


My favourite topping combo for these pancakes is more banana sliced, raspberries, flaked almonds and lots and lots and lots (x20) maple syrup but of course top with your faves and whatever takes ya fancy~

and yes, as you may have noticed I did end up using smashed raspberries in the title. I couldn't resist...♬ "I'm so fancyyyy" 



Banana and smashed Raspberry Pancakes


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup porridge oats
  • 4 tbsp wholewheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp cinnamon powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 tbsp greek yoghurt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • handful of raspberries
  • To serve- banana, raspberries, flaked almonds and maple syrup, optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1.  Put all of the ingredients, apart from the raspberries, in a blender or food processor and blend until the batter is smooth. Then transfer the batter to a pouring or measuring jug so it is easier to pour.
2. Mash the raspberries on a plate with a fork and then add to the pancake batter. Stir through the raspberries slightly so it creates a marble effect (do not over mix so that the batter does not completely turn pink! unless you want that).
3. Heat your pan to a medium heat with some vegetable oil (or coconut oil) and when hot pour about 4 tbsp of the mixture in the pan for one pancake. 
4. When bubbles appear on the surface flip the pancake and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until golden.
5. Repeat the process until all of the pancake mixture is gone, or leave the batter in the fridge covered with cling film to use for later.
6. Serve pancakes with banana slices, raspberries, flaked almonds, maple syrup or whatever you like!






1 comment: