Friday 13 February 2015

Chocolate Chunk Mug Cake for 2...or 1

A super quick and easy chocolate mug cake with dark chocolate chunks and dusted with matcha powder. Perfect as a Valentines dessert for two but also a great treat for those single ladies!



Valentines Day. A day to spend quality time with your loved one through maybe a romantic evening out at a fancy restaurant or maybe a night in with pizza and movie…or spending it alone eating an abundance of chocolate and sobbing over Disney films. Yeah that sounds about right. 
I have to admit, I didn’t prepare for any Valentines recipes. But after seeing so many posted on food gawker and food blogs I felt kinda guilty, I never manage to keep up with the occasions and the trends and if I do it’s just in the nick of time…I guess its not helpful finding a recipe on the day you need it in case you don’t have the ingredients (but for this recipe you don’t have to worry about that, just sayin) 
So, I was determined. I was thinking all day at school what I was going to do when I got home. It had to be quick- because when I get home I’m short on time for natural light and it had to be easy enough to rustle up when short on ingredients- enter the humble MUG CAKE! They are quick- check, they have minimal and everyday ingredients- check AND they are delicious- check, I have to say I am quite experienced in the old mug cake making (I have made quite a few) but I will save my mug caking endeavours for another post :) Back to Valentines- 

I have never celebrated Valentines Day in the traditional sense of it being with a partner (aka a boyfriend) but who says this need be the case? I’m viewing the occasion as a time to spend it with anyone you love or hold dear, this means expressing my love for my friends and family. They can now all be prepared for an abundance of cheesy messages Saturday…
But for those of you who do have that special someone in your life then go you! and as a celebration for the day why not make these mug cakes yes? If you are planning to have a night in and want to whip up a quick dessert then this is the way to roll, chocolate is basically love. All of the ingredients are probably already in your store cupboard, the only relatively unique ingredient is the matcha but you could use cocoa powder or icing sugar to create a finishing touch (or design if you have some stencils like these- I only had Valentines stencils too… don't ask me why). Well at least now I’ve used them!
If your a single pringle like mwah or you just really like desserts then go ahead a make this for yourself, do not feel obliged to share or keep  leftovers. This recipe is meant to serve one mug cake but you know, since its Valentines I split the mixture for one between two mugs so I could feel slightly selfless and that I am considering all those couples out there. But really you want the mug cake bigger and just for yourself I know. Hey who said that?! Not me…

So if your celebrating with your partner, your family, your friends or having a night in with yourself then I hope you have a lovely Valnetines Day. Live, Love and eat chocolate- peace out~

This is one of my favourite mug cake recipes because for me it always achieves the best results. The texture is not too spongey or solid, it is nice and soft with a strong chocolate flavour. Make sure to eat straight away others it will become more solid. The recipe is from Dessert For Two which is kind of fitting for the recipe don't you think? Dessert for two- Valentines- mug cakes. Meant to be.






CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR 2...OR 1

Serves: 1 mug cake or 2 small mug cakes 

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp + 1 tsp golden granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cracked sea salt
  • 5 tbsp almond milk (or any other milk)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp dark chocolate chunks, roughly chopped

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a small bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In another bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the milk and the oil, pour into the dry ingredients and mix until lump free. Add the chocolate chunks and stir again.
3. Get two mugs or ramekins (or one mug/ ramekin) and pour in the batter. 
4. Microwave* the mugs for 70 seconds (1 minute and 10 seconds)- the cake should no longer be batter and the cake should feel slightly soft.
5. Serve dusted with matcha powder (or cocoa or icing sugar)- you can also add cream, fruit or nuts too
6. EAT


*Microwave temperatures differ so you will have to cook it for less/ longer depending on your microwave. Just make sure to keep an eye on it ^0^







No comments:

Post a Comment